Over the last couple of days I have watched a bunch of movies to fill the gap in my moviecation. I’ve bought this lovely book last year, (picked mainly because of the beautiful photo of Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly on the back cover) to help me catch up on the great movies I have not seen yet (Plus, I really do not need any encouragement to buy a new book).
This list of unseen movies is surprisingly long, but a whole bunch of my favourite movies also feature in this book, so I am slowly trying to make my way through all the movies in it. This also means rewatching all the movies I’ve seen before and paying attention to the synopsis of what made this movie great according to the critics who compiled this book.
Towards the end of last year, I had for the first time in my life watched a Star Wars movie, Episode IV (as that is the one movie of the Star Wars series that made it into the book). It was really good and I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would. The special effects, although dated, was still very acceptable to me and the movie still worked, even after all the years since its first release.
So, naturally, that meant that I would have to watch the rest of the movies in the series as well. I really liked the older episodes, IV, V and VI, but did not like the new ones as much, even though it did a really good job of filling in the back end of the story. To me, it just missed something that the old movies have, even though I cannot put my finger on it. I think a lot of it also has to do with the fact that I really dislike Anakin Skywalker, which I suppose you are meant to do as he does become the despised Dark Lord after all. The fact that Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan is totally delicious, (When is Ewan and that voice and accent of his not completely fabulous?) got me through all the movies.
Is it just me or are the sounds made by Chewbacca and the rest of the Wookiees really sad? Makes me think of unhappy or sick puppies 😦
Next up on my to watch list is the Back to the Future, Terminator and Harry Potter movie series
I have so many things running through my mind at the moment, most of them not too great, so I thought that, in the style of Gilbert & Sullivan, I will make a little list of things that piss me off and hopefully that way I can let some of it go, for I’m sure that none of them will be missed.
- SA Parliament. Can they get anymore unprofessional and childish?
- Work. Why is everything such a mess all of a sudden? Processes that used to work suddenly is being ignored and we are bombarded with emails telling us to remember things, that we will NEVER remember
- Certain colleagues who suddenly think things do not apply to them and need special treatment or do not have to follow any processes any more
- This constant headache that just does not seem to go away
- My shit internet connectivity. How is it possible to be ok one week and the next week all you get is Edge even though it says you have full signal. I just don’t understand
- Dealing with call centres. Especially (and almost exclusively) to get shit internet sorted out
- People who do not download complete seasons of Series. Seriously, be cool and just check that you have all the episodes. I know I should be grateful that I can copy your shit, but seriously I am assuming at some stage you would also want to watch it and good luck piecing together what happened in the missing episodes
- Contestants on Reality TV shows who cry in front of the judges
- The fact that everyone interviewed on these competition shows have seriously soppy stories. Nobody can just be a great performer, or singer or whatever it is they do. They all have had to go through some shitty ordeal. This might in fact be the thing that pisses me off the most.
- People who starts playing a song and then skip it after 30 seconds, and then do the same to the next song and the next and the next. Seriously, pick a song and play it. How difficult is that?
- People who compare Harry Potter and Twilight. Seriously, they are 2 completely separate and different stories. The only thing they have in common is that they are both book series and written by female authors.
- When they carry on making more seasons of a series even though the story lines are depleted and most of the original cast has left the show, just because it is a cash cow. Grey’s Anatomy, I’m looking at you in particular, but not exclusively
- This new fad of splitting movies into 2 or 3 parts to make more money, and then making us wait a whole year before releasing the next installment. I get it, Hollywood, you are a greedy bastard, but have you ever heard of double features? So how about making your damn multiple movies, keeping them until they are all done and then releasing them all together. Happy audiences and tons of money for you. It’s a win/win situation
- People who create memes and then spell something wrong on them, then they get retweeted, repinned and spread around. Seriously? You made the effort to do all that, but it was just too much further effort to hit spellcheck?
I love the Shawshank Redemption and have watched it many times before, but this last time, something Andy said actually stuck with me. It was right after he did his 2 months in the box and he was talking to Red, he said “It is time to get busy living or get busy dying”. It’s quite a profound statement actually and it got me thinking about my current state of being.
I need to get busy living!
I was thinking what I love doing (besides reading) and the answer is dancing. I really like dancing. I used to do ballroom dancing, years back but gave it up as it was too expensive and as I hardly ever go to clubs anymore, I haven’t danced in ages. While I am not going to join classes any time soon (damn finances, and being super unfit), I have decided to look for my ballroom dance music and will start practicing at home again, just get into the swing of things. This will have a double positive influence as it counts as exercise and I will be doing something I love.
When I was young, I used to think being a dancer was the most fabulous thing to be, but then again it might have to do with all the feathers and glitter.